WFT IS VOICE - The Journey Begins - Writing Series






When it comes to fiction I’ve always been uncomfortable with describing the voice of my characters, or what voice means. I’m an intuitive writer for the most part  I listen, I write, I pull some Tarot cards to get me started on a theme or a topic and let my characters do the talking

I do the same when I am journaling. I wait to centre myself then listen for the ‘person’ inside of me that needs to do the talking or ranting or who’s screaming to write poetry. Usually it doesn’t take me long to get into the rhythm of the voice that wants to talk. Sometimes I have to sweet talk it out of its cave, or take a backseat while the voice pretends to be someone else, and I sit there tsking and clicking my fingers.

“Nuh-uh, that ain’t you. I ain’t buying that bullshit Drew.”


Why then does it seem so hard for me and many other writers to pin-point what voice actually means? You can see it, hear it, write it, and when asked to explain it, or write about it, or hell think about it for longer than it takes for a kettle to boil the old mush dump just shrivels up like walnut left out in the winter with its shell removed. It’s uncomfortable to look at. You know it’s a nut, but what nut and what the fuck does it mean really? Why is it even important?


When I started University I had a number of excellent teachers who shared multiple messages, read from various books, recommended passages to read and held classes and seminars on voice. I grew a little more confident in my ability to establish that is was made up of lexicon, and diction, style, choice and P.O.V and that inside those P.O.V the voice of one character could change or not change depending on the piece of writing I was working on. It got me thinking, as a Journal writer and a Non-Fiction writer for my blog how those parts of voice also factor into me as a person, and how I express myself, with  my characters in the fictional worlds I create and  how I do so on paper in my shadow work, tarot work, and personal posts.

It is there, my voice is always there. Unique and authentic each time I write. I can see me. Can you see me?


Would you want or even expect that a page from my journal, an essay for University or a blog post share the same voice, my voice? A voice you could tell without my name being attached to it was intrinsically and intuitively me?


(Image Pinterest)



That leads me onto the deeper questions around my right to change my voice or the essence of it, and whether it would still be me. What do you think?

Does each piece of writing give me the freedom to create, dissect and express the persona’s that live inside of me that comes out in my fiction and non-fiction?


Am I being inauthentic if I step inside a persona to tell a particular tale in a personal essay or memoir? If one of my stories centres around my life as an Ex- Dominatrix, while another on my favourite authors, and the next oracle card recommendations would I be denying my true self if I shifted diction, lexicon and p.o.v to either distance myself or get right up in your kitchen for a tea time confessional?


What about when I am taking on the creatrix mother role and birthing voice into my characters? Do I have an obligation to step away from the character and listen to their authentic voice speak when they too have their own complex persona’s just like me?

How do I give them that voice, and how does their voice dictate the way I write and you read my stories? How do they dictate your own?


These are all questions that have sprung from opening the damn box on Voice. The mysterious, hard to pin down, opinionated ‘technique’ as a storyteller and the pivotal part of us all that tells us apart, that helps to educate, brand, debate and develop a personal and collective power.

I want to explore this. I want to look at what different writers, speakers, tumblrs, say about voice in writing, and in society alongside my own experience as a person who uses writing to give myself a voice, and a platform and catharsis to develop it.

I want to give you, the reader the opportunity to join in along with me on this journey. It will be random, as all life and most writing is – right?

Posts will be intuitive, and I will endeavour to give you all some helpful links, insights and maybe even some INSPIRATION that will help you to understand your own voice better whether you are a speaker, blogger, poet, writer or a reader or just interested in reading some Uni student/ writers rambles on whatever is floating around in the mind sink at the time.

I want to leave you with a simple question, one that you can come back to: 

What do you know about your own voice and why do you feel it is important to you?

Okay, so that was two questions, who’s counting?


I’d love to hear your responses, leave them in the comments or feel free to email me at

Unknown

Blair is a Pagan Loving, Earth magic maverick with a love for Tarot, poetry, Herbs, Creative Writing and Learning. Here you will find all manner of magical tips, techniques, interviews and sharings

No comments:

Post a Comment